At Arcanum we are developing revolutionary engineered alloy surfaces that enable materials impossible to make with conventional methods. Funded by top tier VCs, we are bringing much awaited disruption to the $50 Billion steel alloy market. We are currently seeking a highly motivated material scientist to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing experimental methods, operating and maintaining lab scale reactors, characterization of materials, and providing thoughtful input during technical review sessions.
- Laboratory rock star: Hands on in all areas of the lab production process with the experience and aptitude to observe and report when key process variables have changed un/expectedly
- Operation and maintenance of lab scale reactors and associated control systems
- Operation of characterization equipment: SEM/EDS, Optical Microscope, XRF, ATR-IR, Particle Size Analyzer, Rheometer
- Manage / maintain production equipment and related lab area (supplies, 5S, safety, training etc.)
- Work with the engineering team to understand mechanisms underlying experimental results and present results at engineering meetings
- Master Degree in Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Chemistry or related
- Minimum of two years working in a laboratory or production setting
- Experience operating, modifying, and maintaining lab scale equipment
- Experience with the production and processing of metals eg steels desired
- Hands on attitude and startup mentality
- Exhibit a high level of organization
- We are seeking an experienced professional to lead supplier quality engineering for Arcanum Alloys, a revolutionary provider of engineered surfaces for the steel industry. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, you will use your quality and process engineering skills to develop six sigma processes and ensure process and product quality in an outsourced setting. You must enjoy working in a fast paced startup company environment where creativity, speed, initiative and cross-functional teamwork are required to succeed.
- Build and foster strong relationships with suppliers with proactive communications, frequent meetings, and visits, 30-50% travel expected.
- Develop a deep technical understanding of product functional requirements, and manufacturing processes and practices to ensure appropriate process controls are in place and being practiced. Assist team in developing comprehensive process FMEAs and Points of quality Assurance (PoAs).
- Qualify supplier processes using PPAP and APQP. Work with suppliers to ensure manufacturing process consistency using Statistical Process Control.
- Work with supplier and Arcanum engineers, design, run and analyze DOEs using commercially available packages like JMP. Develop and optimize Arcanum’s manufacturing processes to deliver high process capability and high yields
- Utilize supplier quality system audits to assess compliance to control plans and quality system requirements at suppliers. Drive corrective action to improve supplier quality systems to meet the needs of Arcanum Alloys.
- Implement appropriate metrology tools and certify inspection methods at suppliers to enable “Dock-to-Stock”
- BS or higher in a Technical discipline, Materials Science, Metallurgy a plus.
- 15+ years of process engineering, design and/or quality experience in complex products and processes based on advanced materials technologies
- 10+ years of relevant quality engineering experience in a manufacturing environment. Steel industry experience a big plus
- Experience with supplier quality planning, supplier qualification using APQP and PPAP. Experience in controlling processes using Statistical Process Control
- Strong analytical skills with ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to clearly communicate and present status, action, recommendations, and other technical information at all levels.
- Ability to build strong relationships with and influence supplier personnel.